Birdsong got its start in 1914 when T.H. Birdsong opened a feed and seed store in Courtland, Virginia. The company expanded into storing commodities and began shelling peanuts in the 1930’s. The shelling plant burned in 1939 and Mr. Amedeo Obici, founder of Planters Peanuts, asked T.H. Birdsong’s five sons to relocate near his factory in Suffolk, Virginia. That plant is still in operation today.
Until 1965, all of Birdsong’s business was in Virginia and North Carolina. Today the company has expanded its geography with shelling plants strategically located from the east coast of Virginia to New Mexico. Birdsong partners with farmers in 11 states and sells to peanut product manufacturers in the United States and around the world.
Birdsong’s home office is located in Suffolk where three generations of Birdsongs are active in its management. Each generation follows T.H. Birdsong’s example by participating in community and civic activities – serving on nonprofit boards, as university trustees, and as active members of local service organizations. Their commitment to quality and service has proven successful not only in the peanut business but also in community relationships both at home and around the globe.
When T.H. Birdsong opened his country store a century ago in Courtland, Virginia, little did he know that his modest market would grow into a thriving corporation that has grown steadily for five generations.